About Monica: Counsellor and Somatic Trauma Therapist, Totnes, Devon
The benefits of working as a counsellor and psychotherapist include the privilege of working closely with people, and the opportunity to keep developing understanding and experience in areas that benefit both my clients and myself.
I am particularly interested in what is happening currently in the realm of neuroscience, and the practical insight this brings to the field of psychotherapy. This interest was initially stimulated by my training with Babette Rothschild (pioneer of Somatic Trauma Therapy), who continues to educate both therapists and trauma sufferers about the nervous system, and to help people to deal with the very tangible effects of trauma and PTSD. I am currently furthering my studies with Janina Fisher who is another world expert on developmental trauma, and the most inspiring therapist and teacher I have found so far.
My counselling work is also influenced, and supported, by a long-term interest in Mindfulness/ Meditation/ Presence-Awareness, the practices of yoga and qi gong, and the work of my supervisor Roger Linden.
Training and Qualifications:
- BA Hons Degree in Psychology (1987 - 90)
- Diploma in Acupuncture (1993 - 96)
- Clinical Acupuncture Practice in Nanjing, China (1997)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Humanistic with Gestalt emphasis) (2002-05)
- Somatic Trauma Therapy Training (2006-07)
- Accreditation by British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (2007)
- Somatic Experiencing Level 1 (2007)
- Body Psychotherapy Training (2008-09)
- Diploma in Clinical and Creative Supervision (2010-11)
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Training (ongoing)
I have undertaken short courses in other relevant areas, including Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Couples Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), Transactional Analysis, and more...
- Childline Volunteer (2001-05)
- Counsellor for Devon Youth Association (2003-07)
- Private Practice in Totnes area (2005 onwards)