Counselling/ Psychotherapy in Totnes, Devon
There are times when we really benefit from some therapeutic space to explore things that we find difficult or confusing. Sometimes these things can seem really big and be interfering with our ability to function in our day-to-day life. At others, an issue may seem relatively minor but we suspect that life could be a little bit easier or more enjoyable if we were only able to see clearly and resolve whatever is bothering us. It can also be that there isn't a specific issue, but we would just like to feel more alive or at ease.
Counselling and psychotherapy can be an opportunity to get in touch with what is actually going on for you. In the clear seeing of this reality, the unnecessary physical tension, struggle and resistance that tend to perpetuate distress, begin to dissolve. You may start to feel freer, calmer, kinder and more able to respond appropriately to whatever life brings. Old habits or past conditioning can arise and be experienced in a new light that respects what you have been through and brings the possibility of naturally letting go of things that aren't serving you any more.
I integrate techniques from a range of approaches, with an emphasis on what tends to be called mindfulness or awareness, subtle aspects of body psychotherapy, and an interest in what benefits each individual person. Some people just come for a few weekly sessions to resolve a particular issue or to learn to approach life in a less stressful way, whereas others may be interested to explore further via more long-term work.
Issues people often bring for counselling with me include:
- Anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, social anxiety, obsessiveness
- Depression, low mood, lack of energy and motivation, compulsive negative thinking
- Stress, compulsive activity/ difficulty stopping
- Relationship difficulties (with partners, family, friends, colleagues, neighbours etc), loneliness
- Bereavement, loss, mortality-related concerns
- Lack of confidence, low self-esteem
- Anger issues
- Health-related issues
- Difficulty with making decisions
- Work-related difficulties
- Past trauma such as abuse, accidents, assault, hospitalisations etc (follow links for more about trauma and symptoms of trauma).
Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to arrange an introductory session.
"Monica gently enables the person to come to see what the underlying things are which are troubling them and to sort out the real issues from the lesser ones. She then helps them to see or explore ways in which they can encompass these difficulties and find a way to move beyond them. I've found a lot of benefit that I can carry with me and keep on practising" SANDRA